Gum disease attacks the gums and tissues that surround and support the teeth. This infection is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Gum disease is caused by plaque, the sticky bacteria that form on the teeth. Gum disease is usually painless, so you may not know that you have it. However, there are some warning signs of this disease, including:
– Bleeding gums
– Red, tender, or swollen gums
– Gums that are receding from the teeth
– A bad taste or bad breath that will not go away
– Loose or separating permanent teeth
– A change in your bite
You should be aware that there are some factors that can increase your risk of gum disease. These include:
– Poor oral hygiene
– Using tobacco products
– Crooked teeth that are hard to clean
– Certain medications, including some anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, and oral contraceptives
If you suspect that you have gum disease, visit our dentist at our dental office today. It is best if gum disease is treated early. The early stages of gum disease can usually be treated by a professional dental cleaning at our office and daily brushing and flossing at home.
Feel free to contact our office today to learn more about treatment for gum disease in Denver, Colorado, and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Thomas Ouellette.